Voting, Libraries, DMV, Government...

Voting, Libraries, DMV, Government...

Below please find useful links and information pertaining to government services (DMV, postal offices, public libraries, voting, and general County information).

General County Informational Websites:


In order to vote in an election, you must register with your County thirty days prior to an election. You will need to bring proof of residency when you apply. Please call the applicable County for up-to-date procedures and office hours :

Berkeley County: 843-723-3800 or 843-719-4056

Charleston County: 843-744-8683

Dorchester County: 843-832-0132


If you come into South Carolina from another state and establish a permanent residence, you must apply for a South Carolina driver license. If you own any vehicles they must also be registered in our state.

If you have a valid driver’s license issued by the state from which you moved, you can use it for 90 days, after which time you must surrender it and obtain a South Carolina driver license. You have 45 days to transfer your out of state vehicle registration to South Carolina.

For New Residents Licensed in Another State

Military Personnel (and their dependents) and students temporarily in South Carolina are not required to obtain a South Carolina Driver's license. However, you must have a driver's license from your home state to operate in South Carolina.

If you are a new resident, you may use a valid driver's license from your former state for up to 90 days. However, you must convert to a South Carolina driver's license before the end of the 90-day period. If your driver's license from your home state has expired, you must also pass the knowledge and road tests. To schedule a road test, you should call the DMV office where you would like to take the skills test.

Each qualified driver can have only one driver's license. You may not have a valid license from South Carolina and another state. To qualify for a SC driver's license, you must pass the eye exam given at all DMV offices or submit a statement of visual acuity from an eye specialist. A South Carolina license is valid for ten years and must be renewed by your birthday in the tenth year. If you are 65 or older, you will be issued a five-year license and will be required to pass an eye exam.

Transferring Your Out of State Vehicle License

If you move to South Carolina from another state, you have 45 days to transfer your vehicle title and registration. You may apply for the title and registration by mail. The Form 400, Application for Certificate of Title/Registration, which must be completed, contains the proper mailing address for the department.

The first time you register your vehicle in South Carolina, you must provide the name of your insurance company. SCDMV will verify your coverage electronically. If the insurance policy cannot be verified, your driver's license and vehicle registration may be suspended. If you are a new resident in South Carolina and have an automobile policy with a national insurance company, be sure to change your address with your insurance company before you register your vehicle in South Carolina.

You must have the following to transfer your out-of-state vehicle title and registration:

- Your out-of-state vehicle title and registration

If there is a lien on your vehicle, you must bring the name and address of the company that holds the lien.

- Liability Insurance information

You must provide the name of your automobile liability insurance company, not the name of the agent.

- Completed Form 400, Application for Certificate of Title/Registration

To complete the form, you must have your vehicle odometer mileage reading and any current lien information. Make sure the odometer mileage reading is exact. This cannot be changed in the future.

- Paid Vehicle Property Tax Receipt

Before you can register your vehicle in South Carolina, you must first pay the vehicle property taxes that are required in the county in which you reside.

Title and Registration Fees

Title - $15.00 fee

Passenger cars - $24.00 fee

Persons 64 years of age $22.00 fee

65 or older or disabled $20.00 fee

(If disabled, a statement from a medical doctor as to the permanency of the disability must be submitted)

Motorcycles - $10.00 fee

Utility or Camper Trailers - $10.00 fee

Trailers with empty weight in excess of 2500 lbs. - $20.00 fee

Trucks, Truck-Trailers and Road Tractors (All Property Carrying Vehicles)*


0001-4000 $30.00

4001-5000 $40.00

5001-6000 $60.00

6001-7000 $70.00

7001-8000 $80.00

8001-9000 $90.00

(Over 9000 GVW upon request)

* Trucks over 26,000 GVW and buses 16 passengers or more for hire must show SSN or FEIN, but tax receipt is not required.

Requirements and terms subject to change.

Please visit:

for up-to-date information and for an updated list of accepted forms of identification.


Below please find the phone numbers and web addresses of each county’s main library. Please note, there are numerous library branches within in each county so be sure to check out their websites for locations and hours.

Dorchester County Public Library 843-563-9189

Charleston County Public Library 843-805-6801

Berkeley County Public Library 843-719-4223


Berkeley County Recycling & Solid Waste: 843-723-3800

Charleston County Recycling: 843-720-7111

Dorchester County Recycling & Solid Waste: 843-832-0070


55Plus Homes
Debra Whitfield - Team Leader

Realtor® - ABR, SRES, SRS
Charleston, South Carolina
Phone: 843-367-4845

eNewsletter Sign Up

Our Philosophy
We are committed to supporting the 55 plus community in making key life decisions in the real estate market. We have a passion to help clients who are searching for life solutions to their next stage in life challenges.